What is Vietnam eVisa
Vietnam eVisa is an electronic travel authorization issued by the Vietnamese Government within 5 business days of submitting one’s application online.
The electronic visa system was introduced in Vietnam back in 2017 to attract more tourists into the country, develop the tourism industry overall, and help pre-screen the incoming visitors.
Vietnam eVisa stays valid for 30 days and allows a stay of up to one month spent in Vietnam for any leisure, business, or transit-related reasons.
The electronic visa for Vietnam is available entirely online by following a simple and intuitive application process that requires having a stable internet connection.
Who needs an eVisa for Vietnam
Nationals of the countries listed below must apply for an eVisa before visiting Vietnam:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- East Timor
- Hong Kong (SAR)
- Korea, South
- Macau (SAR)
- Macedonia (North)
- Marshall Islands
- Myanmar (Burma)
- New Zealand
- Russian Federation
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Vietnam eVisa Types
The Vietnam Immigration Department as well as the country’s government offer one type of the electronic visa and that is a single-entry travel authorization allowing a 30-day stay in Vietnam.
Eligible travellers should submit their eVisa applications no later than 5 business days of their scheduled departure to Vietnam to receive the processed travel authorization documents on time.
Vietnam eVisa Requirements
Since the Vietnam eVisa application process does not require making a visit to the Vietnam Embassy, the requirements are minimal and consist of having:
- a valid passport that will not expire for a minimum of six months from the planned date of entering Vietnam
- a photo of the applicant’s face that can be easily taken with a phone or PC camera
- an active email address to be able to receive the approved eVisa
- a stable internet connection to complete the application process
- access to any online payment method of choice
Validity of eVisa Vietnam
Vietnam eVisa stays valid for 30 days starting from the day before one’s scheduled date of entering Vietnam.
This requires providing the date of entering Vietnam while completing the application form correctly to ensure that your eVisa will stay valid for as long as you need.
How to apply for the Vietnam eVisa
To apply for the Vietnam eVisa, first, make sure that you have your valid passport on hand, then using any working device connected to the internet complete the following steps:
- Fill out the online application form – complete the application form with the required data, which may include your personal data, passport details, contact information, as well as basic details of your planned stay in Vietnam, including the scheduled date of entering the country.
- Cover the Vietnam eVisa issuing fee – using any preferred method of online payment, cover the Vietnam eVisa issuing fee and check your email inbox for the confirmation email.
- Wait for application processing – the Vietnam Immigration Department will start processing your application after you have submitted it online. The whole process may take up to 5 business days and is followed by the approved document reaching the applicant’s email inbox.
What to prepare for arrival in Vietnam
Once you have received your approved Vietnam eVisa, you can start preparing for your trip. Make sure that you’ll have the following documents ready upon crossing the border to ensure smooth procedures:
- a printed valid Vietnam eVisa copy
- a passport with a validity period extending beyond a minimum of six months from the day of entering Vietnam
The customs officials will be checking if each traveller entering Vietnam has the above-listed documents.
How to Use Your eVisa in Vietnam
Vietnam eVisa allows its holders to visit the country for all leisure, business, and transit-related reasons, all for a stay of up to 30 days.
Please note that the approved Vietnam eVisa operates as a single-entry travel authorization; therefore, allowing one visit to Vietnam within its 30-day validity period.
Eligible for the electronic Vietnam visa travellers can enter Vietnam to:
- enjoy a 30-day vacation stay
- explore the country’s tourist attractions
- take a relaxing getaway
- take a business trip
- attend business meetings, conferences, trade fairs, and events
- take a layover through Vietnam while on the way somewhere else